- To empower students to meet their life goals.
- To help students present their best self in the application process.
- To create choices that will help students thrive and be successful.
- To provide guidance to students and parents as college options are explored.
- Work with students to find the best college matches for them – each student has individual goals and needs, and has a unique journey in exploring options.
- Begin counseling process with an initial consultation, followed by in-depth planning, college search and selection, applications, essays, financial aid, and final steps to admission.
- I use email, Skype and other virtual platforms, phone and face-to-face meetings when possible, to communicate with my students and families, and am comfortable with time zone differences and travel constraints.
- With numerous college options, it is critical to match the student with the best programs for them so they may reach their educational and career goals.
- The student’s college list should be balanced and include a mix of schools to create choices at the end of the process.
- The student is the most critical part of the process and is encouraged to take the leadership role. Most students require support in the college application effort, and my role is to help the family navigate and complete the process thoughtfully to create the best options for them.
- My services are structured in a flexible way. Families may choose a Comprehensive Package, or we can create a targeted group of selected services on a 4-Hour block basis which works well for activities like resume building strategies, essay brainstorming and review, college list expansion approaches, and letters of recommendation selection to name a few.
- I recommend starting early and developing a plan that outlines the steps required to create a thoughtful college list and applications that showcase a student’s strengths and present their best self.
- Please contact me to discuss how I may be of assistance and if you have specific needs.
Consulting to Schools:
- I advise schools about their deliverables to US colleges that become part of a student’s application package, including The School Profile, Counselor Recommendation, and Teacher Letters of Recommendation.
- How a school presents itself and its students are important pieces of the application process since colleges evaluate students within the context of their school environments.
Linda Magnussen is a Certified Educational Planner through the American Institute of Certified Educational Planners (AICEP). She is a member of the National Association of College Admissions Counselors (NACAC) and the International Association for College Admission Counseling (International ACAC). As an Independent Educational Consultant, Linda is a Professional Member of the Institute of Educational Consultants Association (IECA). Linda completed the Certificate in College and Career Counseling from UCLA with honors, and completed the IECA Summer Training Institute program. All services are provided in accordance with the ethical standards and practices established by these associations.